ND Math Credit Exam
In addition to AP and IB exam credit opportunities, students may earn course credit by examination by taking a Notre Dame Math Credit Exam. This page describes the Math Credit Exams and outlines the procedures to complete them. There is no fee for taking a Notre Dame Math Credit exam.
Who takes a Math Credit Exam?
Notre Dame offers optional math credit exams for students who have taken calculus, statistics, or linear algebra and differential equations but do not have Advanced Credit for these courses. If you have credit for a course, you should not take the credit exam for it.
The ND Math Credit Exams are primarily intended for students who feel confident in their knowledge and want to advance more quickly in the math sequence required for their intended college/school or major.
For example, if you took calculus in high school but do not have AP or IB HL credit and want to take Calculus II in your first semester, then you should take the Calculus I credit exam. If you took calculus in high school and want to take Calculus I in your first semester, you should not take the credit exam.
Math Credit Exam Details
How long is each credit exam? Can I use a calculator? Find answers to these questions and more at ND Math Credit Exam FAQ Resource page.
Math Credit Exams and Equivalent ND Courses
Students who pass a Math Credit Exam receive Notre Dame credit for the equivalent course and can take the next level math course as appropriate. Like any Advanced Credit, credit from the Math Credit Exam cannot be used to satisfy Core Curriculum requirements. However, Advanced Credit, including the Math Credit Exam, may satisfy college/school or major math requirements.
Notre Dame offers Math Credit Exams for the following courses:
- Elements of Statistics (ACMS 10140)
- Elements of Calculus I (MATH 10250)
- Calculus I (MATH 10550)
- Calculus II (MATH 10560)
- Calculus III (MATH 20550)
- Introduction to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (MATH 20580)
Explore the How to choose a Math course page to explore the different levels of calculus offered at Notre Dame and which math course might be most appropriate for you.
Math Credit Exam Schedule
For incoming students in Fall 2022, Mathematics Credit Exams take place in-person on Notre Dame’s campus on the morning of Friday, August 19, 2022. This is the first day of Welcome Weekend for first-year students. Students waiting to receive AP or IB HL scores before deciding whether to take a credit exam should register for a Math Credit Exam. Students will have an opportunity to cancel the exam registration after AP and IB HL scores have been received.
Register for a Math Credit Exam
Incoming first-year students will be able to register for a Math Credit Exam beginning on June 6, 2022.
Click here to register.
- Early registration for a Math Credit Exam before June 30 - By registering to take Math Credit Exams before 11:59 PM EDT on June 30, 2022, incoming first-year students qualify to move into their on-campus residential community on Thursday, August 18, 2022. Students will be notified in mid-July by the Office of Residential Life regarding the approval for early move-in.
- Continuing registration for a Math Credit Exam after June 30 - Students who register to take Math Credit Exams after 11:59 PM EDT on June 30, 2022 will not be eligible for early move-in but can still attempt to earn exam course credit.