First Year & Incoming Students
First Year Advising guides incoming and first-year students as they discern their personal and academic interests, transition to college-level academics, and begin to build a home at Notre Dame.
You can expect to partner with First Year Advising to:
- Provide individualized, proactive advising
- Cultivate a sense of intellectual and personal belonging
- Encourage academic and intellectual exploration
- Provide you with the resources to develop effective learning strategies
- Help you find meaning and purpose in your liberal arts education
- Introduce you to University resources
- Engage you with the purpose and value of collegiate-level advising
- Complete the administrative work of advising efficiently, accurately, and transparently
Read your welcome letter from First Year Advising
Learn more about how you can partner with your advisor
NDfirstyear, the official Instagram of First Year Advising, serves all first-year students by providing resources and information as you transition to Notre Dame.
Encounters is a public archive of personal narratives from first-year students at Notre Dame. Get a glimpse into the real-life challenges and gifts encountered by your classmates.
Incoming students will register for Fall 2022 courses beginning late July 2022. This page outlines concrete steps you can take in preparation for course registration. By following these requirements and recommendations, you'll be ready to register for your first courses as a Notre Dame student.