Mendoza College of Business
Mendoza College of Business
This page outlines the requirements for all students in the Mendoza College of Business. In some cases, courses taken for the Mendoza college requirements can satisfy Core Curriculum requirements and/or major or minor requirements.
Mendoza offers five majors. These majors are only open to students in Mendoza and cannot be pursued as second majors by students in other colleges or schools. Mendoza offers a number of double major combinations for students within the college and students are able to apply for those double majors in the spring of their first year. Mendoza students can discuss these options with their first-year advisor.
Mendoza offers six minors which are available to different groups of students. Accountancy and digital marketing are only available to non-Mendoza students. Innovation and entrepreneurship and real estate are available to all students. Business technology is only available to Mendoza students. Foundations in Business is only available to students in the College of Science at this time.
Mendoza does not have a language requirement, but Business students are welcome to take language courses. Some advanced language courses can satisfy the Art and Literature or Advanced Language and Culture requirements of the Core.
During the first year, only students who were pre-approved to enroll in Mendoza at the time of admission can select Mendoza as their college and register for Business courses. Students in other colleges or schools who are interested in pursuing a major in Mendoza must apply for an internal transfer. While there are no prerequisites for transferring to Mendoza, students considering a transfer should talk with their first-year advisor about how they can fit the Sequence One courses into the curriculum for their current college or school.
Sequence One Courses
Business students must complete all of the Sequence One courses by the end of their first year. Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) credit can be used to fulfill these college requirements, but AP and IB credit cannot be used to fulfill the corresponding Core requirement.
- ECON 10010: Principles of Microeconomics (if taken on campus, can satisfy the Social Science Core requirement)
- MATH 10250: Elements of Calculus or another first-semester calculus course (if taken on campus, can satisfy the Quantitative Reasoning Core requirement)
The Business Core
Business students must complete all of the Business Core courses by the end of their sophomore year. Mendoza expects students to complete a total of 9 Business Core credits in their first year, generally 3 credits in the fall and 6 credits in the spring. Students who transfer to Mendoza in their first year will take the Business Core courses during sophomore year.
- ACCT 20100: Foundations of Accountancy (3 credits)
- FIN 20150: Foundations of Finance (3 credits)
- MARK 20100: Foundations of Marketing (3 credits)
- ITAO 20210: Foundations of Coding (3 credits)
- ITAO 20200: Foundations of Statistics (3 credits)
- MGTO 20000: Foundations of Leadership (1.5 credits)
- MGTO 20300: Foundations of Strategy (1.5 credits)
- MGTO 20700: Foundations of Ethical Behavior (1.5 credits)
Business Course Selection Guide
Use these fall and spring semester sample schedules as a guide when planning your courses.