How to prepare to meet with your First Year Advisor
We can't wait to meet you!
After June 1, informed by the Advising Summer 2022 Questionnaire, First Year Advisors will begin to contact their assigned students. Review the information sent in the introductory email to register for an advising appointment with your newly assigned advisor.
Beginning mid-June through July 21, all first-year students will meet one-on-one via Zoom with First Year Advising to prepare for registration. This is a chance for you to connect with your First Year Advisor personally, learn more about your first year, and ask any questions you may have.
To prepare for this first advising meeting, be sure to review all registration materials and familiarize yourself with course planning resources. It is also very helpful to come prepared with a list of questions.
We do not expect you to have it all figured out! We want to get to know you better and learn about your goals and interests so that we can work together to construct the best plan based on your individual needs.
A few recommendations
- If you and your advisor meet after July 5, check to see if AP, IB HL Exam, or SAT II scores are listed in the "My Test Scores" app within InsideND. If anything is missing, review the steps to have score reports sent to ND on the AP Exam Credit and IB HL Exam Credit pages. If you and your advisor meet before July 5, create a list of all the Advanced Credit exams you've taken and your scores to share with your advisor. Your advisor may also ask you to send a Score Report via email.
- Review Requirements and Credits, Registration Tools and Resources and PATH Class Search.
- Build the first draft of a course registration plan using PATH Class Search as completely as you can (but don’t worry, it doesn’t need to be in its final version yet). Use the How to use PATH Class Search page for help!
- As you build your plan in PATH, also create a list of alternate course options and their CRNs in case you are not able to register for all of your original choices.
- If you plan to take a class and see that it has restrictions that will prevent you from enrolling, make sure you ask your advisor if you are eligible to register for the course
- Make a list of questions you have.
- Make sure you have Zoom installed and have a good internet connection – you will likely be sharing your screen with your advisor during the meeting. Learn more about downloading Zoom on your device and make sure you have the minimum version of Zoom required by Notre Dame.